Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Jynx
Peer Support Worker

Counting Sheep ~ The Importance of Sleep!

Inspired by @PinkFlamingo and a recent post from @D1ng0, I've decided to kick start a master thread on that delightful activity we spend about a third of our lives doing: Sleep!!

😴 🐑 💭 🛌

Sleep is a biggie, it's vital to our ability to function! We all know just how impactful it is when we don't get enough of it, so this thread serves both as a source of information and insight, as well as a place for members to talk about their sleep troubles, swap ideas, and ask questions! 

I believe @PinkFlamingo you're quite knowledgeable in this area, so by all means drop your knowldge bombs whenever you're ready! 😍

I will also share below, my personal experiences with insomnia that I shared with @D1ng0 - and D1ng0 feel free to use this thread to continue chatting about your sleep challenges if you like - up to you 😉

I'm gonna tag a few people, but don't wanna go too wild with it so please do tag more folks who may wanna get in on this discussion!

@tyme @MedicinalGypsy @ArraDreaming @Bow @Captain24 @creative_writer @NatureLover @TAB @The-red-centaur @tonys @StuF @Meowmy 

36 REPLIES 36

Re: Counting Sheep ~ The Importance of Sleep!

Tales of a sleepy Jynx!! 

Whilst I do still get smacked by insomnia from time to time, I have found improvements by examining and altering the way I view sleeplessness. I think one of my biggest challenges has been those evenings when I know I need to sleep (cos I have to wake up early or I have a big day ahead), and just by having that thought alone can mean I end up getting no sleep at all.

I learned something about a year or so ago that ended up being a game changer for me - even if you don't sleep, just resting (laying down and cutting out all sensory stimulation, like sound and light) does more to improve brain function than if you continue to do activities and stuff. I call it a 'power down'. I also find it near-impossible to nap most times because it usually takes me at least 30-40 minutes to get to sleep, so a 20 minute power nap is pointless; instead I have a 20 minute power down and legit it does help! And same for trying to sleep and being unable to, if I reassure myself that I'm still having a power down and it is still helpful in giving my mind and body rest, it alleviates a lot of the anxiety for me. 

Another thing I try to notice is frustration. When I know I need to sleep, but can't cos my brain is too loud, I have learned that if I start to get frustrated with myself, it's only going to increase all the brain chemicals that keep me awake. So rather than continue to lie there getting more and more frustrated, I will get up - just for half an hour or so. I try to read rather than go on my phone, blue light and all that, or I'll potter around and do a household task or something. Then I'll feel the wave of sleepy and go 'ok time to go be horizontal again!' and like, 7/10 times I will end up falling asleep. 

For me, trying to practice acceptance has gone a long way. Anxiety can tend to build on itself, like with frustration - the more agitated I am, the more my brain releases chemicals like adrenaline or dopamine that are associated with action, movement, tasks, etc., the more awake I am, thus the more frustrated I get, and  on and on. It becomes a cycle. The more I think about how much sleep I'm not getting, or how annoyed I am, or how impacted my day will be, the worse it gets. Sometimes, I just have to remind myself that even if I get no sleep tonight, it doesn't mean everything will be a pile o crap - I may not be at my best, but I can still function and get through the day. 

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! 💜

I got given one of these and I find it has been helpful. 

A3EB80A7-14A1-4D98-98F7-9D9DF1C515DB.jpeg

@Jynx thanks for sharing. Very insightful

Thanks @Jynx 

will plant some info here copied from some of my other posts, to provide some foundational stuff all in one place - ask questions if anything needs clarification - then I’ll basically respond to interest areas if people have them. 
And my own sleep..? 
I live with brain damage to the sleep centre area, so I go into a mini coma like state, where I will not move or have any sense of sound, temperature, time, light, or movement around me, for periods of up to 6 hours. 
due to that, I do not breathe independently, and I must use a non invasive ventilator to take over breathing for me during sleep. I also have partial diaphragm paralysis after my chest and neck was damaged significantly in a traffic incident (the diaphragm is the only reliable muscle to be on a timer to make you breathe while you’re sleeping - without it, nobody can breathe and sleep at the same time). 
the vent works the same as the machines that keep people breathing while they’re under anaesthesia having operations - the only difference is I don’t have a tube in my throat. 
And I do live with insomnia - breathing issues like this sometimes sends of alarm bells in my brain which do not allow me to sleep - it’s the same as if you’re body is in full fight/flight mode with full adrenalin coursing through every organ and muscle. During those nights, I will stay awake a couple days in a row, simply due to the high level of ‘go’ chemicals my body has produced. 
I also have to have a backup plan: I have 2 ventilators, and have a full solar and battery system to back up against power (grid) failures or outages, otherwise in the mini coma, I wouldn’t hear the 120 decibel constant alarm bleating the failure for hours and by that time the game is over, as they say. 
Moving house is a logistical nightmare, and always costs me a solar system and at least one battery installed. 
Ok, I’ll get to it, and hopefully the initial chatty style info is helpful, but if anyone has specific questions, I’ll do my best to smash the glass ceiling between mystery and understanding 🙌🏻🙂

🦩

@SmilingGecko 

@D1ng0 

@Shaz51 

and everyone else with an interest in all things sleep 🌺

@PeppyPatti 

tagging you in 🌺🙌🏻 

FYI for reference:

I’m a former sleep technician (the person who sets up and monitors all different kinds of sleep studies overnight) and so if anyone has questions about what happens during a sleep study, get tapping..🙂

My undergrad is occupational therapy, and in this area, there’s lots about sleep hygiene - feel free to ask…

Former anatomy teacher: ask about anything body and sleep, and I’ll do my best to help out here too (including if certain classes of meds impact on sleep - whether that be to help or if it hinders…classes are the classification of a med, like sedatives, stimulants, antidepressants, etc.. please refer to the forum guidelines for guidance on what we can mention here if you’re unsure). 
🦩

@Jynx oh thank you

@Bow interesting 🤔 thanks for sharing

Thank you @Jynx , @PinkFlamingo 😍

My forms have been faxed away 

@MedicinalGypsy , @Meowmy , @Bow 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846