Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What online peer support looks like // Tues 16th July, 7pm-9pm AEST

I totally agree with respect. I'd also like to add sensitivity. As someone with PTSD, I try and shield myself from some more graphic/detailed conversations, but sensitivity from others is always appreciated as well. I guess context is everything for this though, as I wouldn't want anyone to not be able to express what they need. 

Re: Topic Tuesday // What online peer support looks like // Tues 16th July, 7pm-9pm AEST

@frog To be non-judgemental is so important and really hard when it goes against the grain of our natural human instinct to judge and assess another (wired into us across evolution!). But it is one of the key pillars within this online community, and I am always so impressed as to how open people are here within the SANE Forums, many of you hold space for each other so proactively Heart

@whatsinaname Sensitivity is very important, and thank you for raising the example of PTSD. I am sorry to hear you are navigating the symptoms of this, but we're all here for you Heart And a really great point in relation to sensitivity. 

Alrighty crew in an effort to keep on track with time for tonight's chat - on to question 2!

As a member of this forum, or even as a moderator or community manager, we are not here to “fix” any one else’s situation. What we can do, is be there for them. Three really important communication tools we can use to ‘hold space’ are open ended questions; reflective listening & affirmations.

Open ended questions are questions that can’t be answered with a yes/no, good/bad type answer.

Reflective listening is about showing the person you’ve understood what they have said.

Affirmations are statements that recognise strengths or behaviours that lead to positive change.

Asking open ended questions can help the people you are talking to open up and drive the conversation towards the things they want/need to talk about. Can you think of some open ended Qs you’ve used in the forums?

gif002.gif

Thanks for the tag, just following along quietly

hey @whatsinaname

welcome to the forums 🙂 haven't seen you here before

Respect & sensitivity.

I was once voted (by all staff) as being the most Respectful employee - the person who most embodied the value of respect.

Adge

Sounds good @Snowie! Happy to have you here in any capacity 🙂

Amazing @Adge I'd believe it too! How lovely is that Heart

Ask about their hobbies 

or what they did on the weekend

I think some of the questions I have found helpful that people have asked me and that I've asked others hoping they'll be helpful too, are things like "what's happening for you today?" and "how are things going/how are you?".
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846