Re: Topic Tuesday // Hearing Voices // Tues 15 May, 7pm AEST

@Smashpea I hope this doesnt sound like a stupid question but with the black orbs floating behind  you and moving around plus talking to you you must get dizzy amongst other things. I cannot imagine anything like that.

I found telling my treating team about my voices very challenging because I found it difficult to articulate what was happening to me. I therefore started keeping a blog and typed everything verbatim what the voices were saying to me. I felt a fool giving my psychiatrist and psychologist access to this blog, as it was an extremely private experience and I wasn't entirely sure I trusted them. During the time I shared my blog, I was hospitalised countless times for psychosis and paranoia. It really wasn't a pleasant experience at all, but at the same time, I am glad I did decide to let them into my world. I was able to then be put on medication for my experiences (which really helped a great deal) plus was given therapy. I kind of wish the talking therapy continued, but my current therapist is only really interested in hypnotising me for some unknown reason.

Sorry to hear you're in hosiptal @Tasharose. Sounds like stressful times. Hmm, the meaning behind voices is something I'm really interested in and have started working with a lot. Often there is a really important message behind what the voices are saying, but they are often cryptic and hard to decode. Honestly, it is often to help you see that what you want from life is the opposite of what they say (totally depends on what they are saying and your life, naturally). 

I would suggest looking at a peer support worker. I have a peer support worker who comes to my house and works on ways for me to get out of the house. We do up a plan and timeframes which I will do what I have committed to. Its is a live document in such as it is always changing according to my abilities at the time. I hope this helps someone.

Hmm, not sure about the evidence base for hypnosis and voices @Queenie, but I'm sure they have their reasons (though would be good if knew what they were and agreed!). Well done on keeping the dairy! This can teach you so much about your voices and patterns in them and to keep a record of what helps/doesnt help. Really good stuff! 

sorry everyone I have togo but want to say thank you to @Georgie_Paulik and @Former-Member and everyone.

This sounds really great @Tasharose. I'd definitely second that suggestion. 

I don't feel like they get better or worse if I'm on my own or with others I guess it's more the context of what they are saying can change. Sometimes I can drown them out if I'm having a conversation that is making me use my brain but it doesn't last long...

I note social isolation can be a major trigger for me too. It is like my mind churns over in the quiet. Take for example at the moment, I am in a peer-operated recovery house, all the other guests have gone to sleep at 7pm. I am wide awake and due to the isolation, my voices have really amped it up. New environment, quietness... not a good mix for me! I am supposed to be here working on my recovery and so far I am going backwards!

Thanks for being here tonight @greenpea!

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846