Re: Topic Tuesday // Hearing Voices // Tues 15 May, 7pm AEST

@Smashpea that is interesting. So sounds likely keeping your mind occupied is the key for success for you (or at least some times). Often it may not be helpful to be with others in that moment, but I wonder if we isolate ourselves more generally to the point we get lonely if that is a trigger for some people. Certainly we've hread here tonight that sometimes voices arise in childhood (or later) to keep us company.

I find at night alone in bed is worse for me. The stillness and quietness triggers me and it all starts. Stress for me is not good as well

@greenpea I don't get dizzy as such it's just really distracting and quite frightening to be honest

@BlueBay I listen to the sound of rain on my phone (just a free white noise ap I downloaded) at night to help. I also find quietness and stillness makes it hard to sleep

@Smashpea have you tried applying mindfulness techniques to observe the circles as more of a passing perceptual experience, rather than focusing your attention on the fear of the possible pending "merge"? I bet this would be incredibly hard, but if you could master it, probably quite helpful and may reduce how often the merge happens, seeing as the merge sounds like it is triggered by fear/anxiety. Just a thought.

Yeah Georgie, I've also heard that a lot. Unfortunately my voices have always been negative. I've been told that they can actually be protective but I don't understand how that can be when they are so nasty all the time

@Tasharosei too have wondered why my voices are constantly negative towards me (telling me i'm stupid, fat or worthless), and while i don't have it all worked out i noticed they are stronger when i am about to be in a situation where i'm very concerned of what other people;s opinion of me might be. ie say on the way to a job interview my primary voice (his name is RingMaster) might say "you're too stupid to get to the job".  And in the past that may have made me afraid to go ahead with the job interview, but now i say to him " i realise you might be worried that I may fail, but there is a chance i may not so i am going to go ahead with it, but thank you for your concern"

Hi Everyone! I’ve experienced voices and they are my sign that I need medical help.

@Queenie does artificial companionship help at night, like peer support forums or audiobooks/pod casts?

This is a random question @Smashpea, have you ever had your vision checked for floaters? I am vision impaired and started seeing them about 10 years ago. It kinda sounds like what you are describing. I was terrified and went to my optmoetrist and she did a thorough eye exam and explained what floaters were. I do not in any way mean to take away from your scary experiences. It was just a thought that passed through my mind.
Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846