Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Who Loves Reading Books?

Hi book people @BPDSurvivor @MDT @BPDSurvivor and all comers

A friend just leant me this book. Timely given we have just gone into hard lockdown.

But I find myself too anxious to read atm Smiley Sad

Hopefully can settle into the situation and find some time to enjoy it.

The Dictionary Of Lost Words – Affirm Press

@frog 

I feel this book would be good to read right about now with everything in the world

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/385.On_Bullshit

omg @MDT so much Smiley LOL

I love reading books and recently read "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, beautifully written but rather difficult to follow at first because the characters jump from century to generation to generation, and century to century.  However you get used to it, and quite relate to that in that I see alot of my grandmothers and other ancestors in me.  I never knew my grandfathers, but assume there would be some of them in me too.  I know I have my French grandfather's capacity for compartmentalizing, and I also have PTSD in common with him.

Sounds great @frog !

I'll get a copy and get on to it. 

im in the middle of reading a range of psych thrillers. Some are quite average, but there's been some great ones.

I love the book 'we need to talk about Kevin'... very hard read at first, but I was totally sucked in later...

Wow some weighty books there! Thank you for replying.

I struggle with some magical realism @Abner but love Kazuo Ishiguro, particularly Never Let Me Go. I read a bit of Klara and the Sun, hopefully more tonight.

@BPDSurvivorI've heard that We Need to Talk about Kevin is brilliant but very dark. I'd have to be in the right frame of mind. I like heavy interspersed with funny. Are there light moments in it?

I also like a bit of Ben Elton, and have recently read a very funny book that centres around geonomy, a theory which was the precursor to the study of geology.  It's quite interesting.  Geonomists thought the world made of several turning spheres all inside one another, a bit like a Russian doll, and all turning in different directions, and that at the centre was hydrogen.

@frog , I won't say there are light or bright moments in We Need To Talk About Kevin, but it is a book of such depth that just captures the reader.... absolutely brilliant. But beware, it's a VERY slowwwwww start. Most people put it aside after the first few chapters.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I buy books too. That way I don't have to return them. I read about religion, science, politics, people's lives, and an endless ever-growing collection of non-fiction material. I also like fiction stuff like crime and mysteries, thrillers, suspense, sci-fi, etc. I could go on forever.

Hi Book People

I just finished

frog_1-1643312969582.jpeg

It had an interesting premise, the idea that there's a multiverse of lives that we could choose, but for me it didn't live up to its reputation.

I still haven't made in roads into The Dictionary of Lost Words. There was a disturbing scene early on ... I say scene because I got a really strong visual from reading it.

What's everyone else reading, or thinking about reading, or given up on reading?

@Denv12 @BPDSurvivor @Abner @MDT @Appleblossom @greenpea and all comers

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846