Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Jake63
Senior Contributor

It's been a while!

Hi all,

I am happy to be back talking with you all. I have been very busy lately working on my short story (of which I have finished writing 2!). In actual fact, I am working on an anthology series, and what this means is I am working on a collection of stand alone stories. I have written 3 so far and I plan on writing 10 with the aim of getting them published.

I have also posted my first ever YouTube video! I am not sure if I am allowed here to promote my YouTube channel as it might identify me. But in the video I am reading one of my favorite poems by Lord Byron 'Darkness'. It is one of my favorite poems - yes, one of. Byron has many awesome poems.

I have been a bit like a yo-yo lately. My depression has been very up and down, and I have very much taken to referring to myself as a yo-yo in my head. It amazes me how up and down my depression is. I will also be seeing a new psychologist next week on the 28th. I have seen so many psychologists in my time, but I feel as though the one I will be seeing now will really good for me - as in a good fit. I think some of you here on the forums know that I am an autistic man (but my pronouns are they/them) and that I identify as being neurodiverse. Because I am neurodiverse many psychologists cater for people who are neurotypical (at least in my experience). But the psychologist that I am going to see caters specifically for people who are autistic - so I am optimistic that we will get on! 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: It's been a while!

Hi there @Jake63 - Welcome back 🙂

FIRSTLY, woah! Well done on completing 2 stories! I am curious what this anthology series is about.. What kind of themes are present? A thriller? Fantasy!? etc.

Secondly, nice work on posting your first Youtube video! As much as we'd love to give you thumbs up and views, you are right, it may identify you so in the meantime, if anyone would like - maybe they could google the poem and have a read to connect with the content you are sharing online 🙂 I don't think I have ever read any of Byron's poems.. I should get onto this!

Lastly, I am super excited for your psychologist appointment as I too am a fellow ND person and can understand the struggles we experience with professionals who either don't know how our brains differ at all, or either group us into a box.

So I too, am optimistic that working with someone who actually has an understanding, knowledge (bonus points if they have lived experience) and caters to a neurodiverse audience may provide better support than your past experiences!

Let us know how it goes, and I have my fingers crossed that it does go smoothly and you get on well! Thanks for sharing your recent wins!

Warmest,
PizzaMondo 🙂

Hello @PizzaMondo,

I seem to recall that Sane was recently asking for feedback sometime last year relating to the forums. I remember providing feedback around this time (I forget when). What was the overall outcome of that feedback on the forums? What feedback was received?

Hmmm, yes you are right! There was a little survey going around..

Would it be OK if I get back to you? Let me retrieve some info for you and if I am able to share with you easily the outcome, or what we received, I will do that here before I head off this arvo!

I hope that is OK - as I am new Peer Worker to this online space, I just want to make sure I don't share misinformation!

Hi @Jake63 !

Well done on making progress with your story collection, as a writer myself I know how time consuming it is and how tricky is can be to get started. Do you find yourself to be a writer who edits a lot or brews the story a lot in your mind? (I'm a brewer for sure) 

It's so important to find a therapist who can work with your autism not against it. I've found having something to fidget with, being allowed to move around was all a great experience for me to stay present. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846