Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Dec's Guide to the Night Sky for Amateur Astromomers - including Melbourne weather

Hey @Owlunar 

Just wanted to say G'day and thankyou for the information you provide to us here.  I really need to dust off my telescope at my farm and have a good look up there.  It always seems like there is 10 times as many stars there as here on the coast.

Think I may have the same app on my phone and it really is fantastic.  Yo don't need to be online to use it either! 🙂

I hope you and your family are safe and well.  Heart

Gazza

Re: Dec's Guide to the Night Sky - THE GREAT CONJUNCTION

Hi @Gazza75 @Maggie @utopia @Shaz51 @Jo-anneJoy @Emelia8 @BlueBay @outlander   and everyone else who is interested

I have a photo of the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn which is at it's best today - but I got this photo last night as the sky was clear - I think it was the best I would get this time around - the last time these two planets were close was in 1996 and I didn't see it that year - it was winter and the weather was foul but this year - whacko - I got it

In the picture I have posted I can easily see the two planets - if you can't then you will be able to see if you have a touch screen and can expand the photo - all the best everyone - I wish you the best and hopetully - this year will get better now -

I have been watching these two planets crossing the sky all year and we have had some clear nights so I took photos earlier in the year - seeing the planets get closer and closer as the year passed

Dec

The Great Conjunction 2020The Great Conjunction 2020

Hi @Owlunar ... thanks for thinking to tag me. Eagerly awaiting pic to come through. Will check back again before I hit the road. Otherwise after I return home this arvo. Hope you are well? 😄🌷

Emelia

@Emelia8 

Thanks Em - all the best today - I will be thinking of your

@MDT @TAB 

Hi guys - I am tagging you into see my photo of The Great Conjuction of Jupiter and Saturn too - I hope you can see both planets in this photo - maybe it will be hard in a phone but in my computer I can see them distinctly - a small moment in history perhaps but I have waited for this moment for 25 years - I am not likely to see it again

All the best everyone

Dec

Hi @Owlunar  yeah were some good pics on ABCtv this morning

@Owlunar  I think that’s amazing.

I saw something on tv a few nights ago and thought of you. It might be something to do with the pic you have taken, I’ve forgotten the actual name they used.

The sky is unreal. I hope we don’t pollute mars, like we have earth. 🌑🌙🌍🌔

Nice shot @Owlunar
🙂

Thanks for the tag

Yes @Owlunar I can see the two planets ... thats amazing! 😀

Thanks for sharing. 💓

Emelia

Thanks for the tag @Owlunar 

Last night I saw it looked like a half of a milky way xoxo 

Re: Dec's Guide to the Night Sky -

Hi @Shaz51 @Emelia8 @MDT @Maggie @TAB @utopia @BlueBay 

Today I am posting in green because it's St Patrick's Day

Right now if you get up before dawn you can see Saturn, Jupiter and Mercury rising. It will be easy to see Saturn and Jupiter earlier each night if the weather is clear - Mercury will leave the morning sky soon - it's not easy to see Mercury most of the time

Orion is setting in the evenings but after sunset it is still fairly high in the north-west and easy to see - Scorpio is rising in the east very early and is ahead of Saturn - 

I am so thrilled so many people are interested in this thread. 

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846