Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

looneytunz
New Contributor

new meds

Hiya I've just been prescribed a mood stabiliser on top of my anti depressants after a couple of manic episodes. I'm really scared of going back to depression again and to be honest quite like mania as I don't have to try to be happy lol. But my manic behavior is effecting my family so i need to chill out. I was wondering how other people have found stabilisers have worked for them?

7 REPLIES 7
suzanne
Senior Contributor

Re: new meds

Hi @looneytunz, welcome to the Forums.  Great first question and there are folks about who may be able to talk about the impact of stabilisers.  @mrkotter, @Nikolai and @Kurra spring to mind.  They may be able to drop by.  Also, check out some other threads like this one which was a recent conversation about your condition.  You can find more using the search bar.

I hope you find some value here 🙂

mrkotter
Senior Contributor

@looneytunz wrote:
I was wondering how other people have found stabilisers have worked for them?

Hi @looneytunz welcome to forums as @suzanne mentioned I have bipolar. 

Outside of my psychologist, mood stabilisers have been the best thing that have ever happened to me. I've found them to treat both depressive and manic symptoms - they aren't just there to treat mania. So I wouldn't worry about getting depressed again. I am only on mood stabilisers and I have no problems with depressive symptoms. 

When working properly mood stabilisers will prevent both depressive and manic episodes. Hence the name. 

I've found mood stabilisers (one in particular) to be really, really good. My mood still varies more than the average person but its no longer extreme. I think its a good compromise if you like the manic elements but in a controlled way. 

I don't want to be a downer but do you really enjoy full blown mania? I mean I like the first couple days but then it gets bad. I feel rushed, disconnected, unable to focus, you know, the usual stuff. Do you really like that? The fallout? I find being medicated with mood stabilisers means I feel normal and that I don't need to try to be happy either. I don't know, just something to consider. 

Nikolai
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the mention @suzanne 🙂

Hi @looneytunz,

I am on an antidepressant and mood stabiliser also. I have honestly never felt better, certainly still have ups and downs but it has taken the extreme moods away for the most part.

For me personally even though I don't get the same highs I find that being more stable all round has made me happier.
Without medication I rapid cycle and it is exhausting.

Unfortunately no medication works for everyone. See how you go with it, and most importantly keep in touch with your doctor and let them know how you are going.

-N

Good morning @looneytunz
I have bipolar 1 and mood stabilisers have proven invaluable for me. Like @mrkotter I do have to ask if you really do enjoy full-blown mania. A day or so of hypomania my be enjoyable but I have learnt to fear hypomania because it rapidly turns to full-blown mania and total chaos as I climb higher and higher until I crash in to at the very least severe depression or profound depression. There have been times when I have crashed so low that I descend in to clinical catatonia. Once I've reached this point involuntary hospitalisation is the only solution.

Do seek out another psychiatrist as soon as you can as bipolar can be a nightmare and a daymare without a mood stabiliser.

Hope you're doing OK. 🎶
Nikolai
Senior Contributor

Hi @looneytunz,

I just wanted to check in with you and see how you are travelling with the new medication?

Hope all is well

-N

Ellu
Senior Contributor

Dear looneytunz,

I have bi-polar disorder and have been taking anti-depressants and mood stabilizers for years (would you believe 20 years...)In my opinion the mood stabilizers are invaluable They act as a protection against depression as well as mania. You say you quite enjoy being manic... at low levels I agree, a little bit of mania is fun.But the trouble begins when it starts to get out of hand. Before you know it you are in full-blown mania and acting and behaving in ways you would never dream of doing normally.

Once you get the dose right mood stabilizers can make a significat improvement to your quality of life. I wouldn't dream of going off them. Give them a try.

Ellu

So very true @Ellu! I could have written the same from my experiences. 🎶💕
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846