Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Queenie
Community Elder

An update from me - Queenie

Hi gentle folk, I have been away for a while. Apologies for that. I have been packing and ready to move this weekend in with my gf and her Mum. I also have been trying to convince my gf I need an assistance dog for people with psychiatiatric issues (from an organisation who deals with psychiatric assistance dogs especially). However I have to wait until our 16 year old dog passes away before that can even begin to become a reality (so might be a while yet).

I have started seeing a psychologist as well as a psychiatrist, mainly to help me deal with past trauma in my life and to better understand and manage my symptoms (especially my depression and all the negative self talk which goes along with it). I see this psychologist under a mental health care plan so I get the usual 10 visits per year. 

As I mentioned in another thread, I am not really looking forward to Christmas. I am more of a NYE kind of person. However this year I am being forced to be festive with my gf and her family. They are crazy about Christmas. 

Anyhoo, sorry I haven't been around very much lately. Yours, the prodigal Queenie.

8 REPLIES 8
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: An update from me - Queenie

Hi @Queenie, good to see you. Think the assistance dog is a great idea. Hope the bubbly company around gives you a better than usual experience for Christmas, why not? Whats NYE?

Was it you that had to move recently? How's that going?

Hope the psychologist visits are in place for you. Keep on swimming, you sound really relaxed 🙂

Hi @Queenie,nice to read a post from you. Good luck with your move etc. Wishing you lots of luck... hugs Bridgetjones x

Great to hear from you @Queenie! Moving again so soon must be rather stressful for you.
Re Christmas: I always just try to go with the flow. It seems to work for me these days.
My last shift of 5 days tonight and then 5 days off. I can't wait for a good relax!
Take care. Hugzzz 💕 🎶

Good to hear from you @Queenie

I did not realise you were moving with gf's mum as well.  Good Luck with it all.  New place can be a great change.  I hope you can find some special place for you when you need time out.  When we did family therapy, they said even cats need their little hidey places.  A comfy chair or corner in the garden.  

Take care and keep in touch

Hi @Former-Member. I don't like Christmas because it makes me miss my brother and mother more (they are both deceased). NYE stands for new years eve, I like it better because the culture around it these days is to get as blotto as you can (and that's exactly what I do too). 

@Kurra The big move got put off for a week or two while I had a downer but now all systems are go for this weekend so I am sad to be leaving a place where I have so many friends to a place where other than my gf and her mum, I know nobody. I guess I'll get there though. I have previously linked in with a peer support group, so once I am settled, I will be sure to check it out.

@Appleblossom yeah I live with her Mum too, but she is pretty cool about things. She is even buying me my favourite album for Christmas which is awesome (Robbie Williams by the way). 

@Bridgetjones thanks for the hug. I feel like weird having a break and coming back not knowing what everyone has been up to of late.

Former-Member
Not applicable

righteo then, you must be young
sorry for your family loss, Chrissy sure makes that one hard. Not alone!

@Former-Member My mother passed away when I was 11 and my brother passed away from a terminal illness when I was 16. I am 37 going on 38 now so I am not all that young, but I have never properly processed that grief from their deaths. I am going to a psychologist though to help work through it, so hopefully that helps.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I hope so, I have lost a daughter so know a bit about grief, you were young so probably suppressed it yo cope. Glad you're gonna address it now. Sounds like you're ready. I have a journal I write to my girl a lot. And record things about her. Kinda helps. Hugzz (PS don't get too drunk)
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846