Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

dumplingsoflove
New Contributor

New Member intro

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would introduce myself. 

I  am suffering from anxiety and depression and really just need a place where I can talk to people who understand. I have limited real life support. 

I guess I've always been quite anxious even from a young age. I had a different childhood with emotionally absent parents , was always told I wasn't good enough. I was abused by a friend of the family as a child, which is something my family are still unaware of decades later. my father was a gambler and would get me to answer the phone dealing with the debt collectors which was extremely stressful,  my mother left my father when I was a teenager when his gambling left us almost on the street, a fact I was blamed for my my dad. I took on responsibility raising my younger sibling at 14 and had my first big anxiety attack when I flunked out on my HSC due to stress. since then I've had other high anxiety moments when leaving one career for another, when having a workers comp injury that the workplace denied, when having a Deep Vein Thrombosis and being broken up with by my partner in middle of the health crisis. My anxious break down occurred when my then boss put me in charge of a project way beyond my knowledge level with no support. I saw a GP and got a MHP but the Pdoc was a bad match for me, didn't want to discuss my past at all and was very focussed in trying to use me as a hypnotherapy test dummy. 

I gave up. I quit my job and spent 5 years depressed in a casual job, a shell of a person. None of my family members understood, I was just a big embarrassment to them and lazy. 

I got a new job 8 months ago Permanent Part time, but the anxiety abd pressure of the job has been building and I hit a real distress state about a week ago. 

The temptation to quit is strong, but I can't afford to with work being near impossible to get with COVID. I feel stressed and trapped.  I am trying to find a Proc but everyone's waitlist is so long and I don't earn enough to see someone without rebate.

I spoke to work about what was bothering me and they aren't really supportive, despite making a big show of R u ok? day. 

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm really struggling.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: New Member intro

Welcome to the forums @dumplingsoflove 

you will find many wonderful people here to talk to... who will offer an ear... a virtual shoulder to cry on... a virtual hug... a virtual hand to hold

you may not always get an instant answer or reply... but someone is always around and will answer eventually 

take a look around .... 

Thank you for the welcome. I think this forum will be helpful. I also want to support others too.

@dumplingsoflove  Welcome to the forums.

You have had a really tough childhood. I understand the rubber left behind to try to wade through. Im sorry. Also, I’m sorry work is so stressful, and finding a psych is tough. It all adds up, and makes coping challenging.

There are many others here who understand, so if you are up to looking around and joining in, you are welcome everywhere.

The @brings a dropdown, and you can tag us if you want to.

We have Good morning  and  Good Afternoon - Afternoon Tea  threads where some light chatting happened. 

I hope to see you around.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846