Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Work-life balance as a Carer// Tues 22nd September , 7-8:30PM AEST

1. Being intentional with work

2. Trying to ensure we have outings so we don't feel housebound.

3. Ensuring I take some time out to catch up with girlfriends.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Work-life balance as a Carer// Tues 22nd September , 7-8:30PM AEST

@outlander 
While I am not a carer of my grandparents but I can say I can definitely relate to your concerns for your grandfather. My grandmother has dementia as well and it is difficult for us to leave her by herself while we try to do other tasks also ðŸ˜ž 

its tough @Peonies

@Former-Member thanks for the amazing tips you have shared!! 

Some of my tips are: 

If you are working, it could be helpful to talk to your employer about your caring duties and set up flexible working arrangements. You are entitled to flexible working arrangements under Fair Work Act 2009.

Respite:  Planning respite/time off in advance can help motivate you to take breaks. Respite services and care can also help you to take a break from multiple demanding responsibilities. You can also take a look at the Carer Gateway for more information about respite services.

Self-care: Try to continue doing the things that you enjoy. Doing these activities could give you a short break away from the multiple responsibilities you have got. 

3 key things
1. ensuring i still attend appointments that i really need
2. being organised
3. asking for help with pop when i can

Trying to ensure we have outings so we don't feel housebound. and days away  even though sometimes mr shaz does not want to go anywhere

mum is starting to get dementia too 

keeping our regular jobs which is good 

@Former-Member, @Peonies@outlander 

going out is good @Shaz51

i agree @outlander , being organized is important @Peonies 

@outlander I agree - being organised definitely helps me with planning and staying on top of tasks. I've got a small diary that allows me to plan out my day/appointments, which helps me from feeling overwhelmed when competing tasks come up ðŸ¤—  

im the same @Peonies i have a small diary and also a calander set up in a word document on the computer so i can see when i have space for the whole month at a time when needing to make appts and everything
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846