Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Tortoiseshell
Senior Contributor

In this together - Join us for National Reconciliation Week 2020! // Wed 27th May - Wed 3rd June

Today is the first day of National Reconciliation Week 2020! A week to think about our role in reconciliation, building an Australia that values Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, history, culture, and their right to an equitable future. 

The theme of 2020s National Reconciliation Week is "In this together." Check out the Reconciliation Australia website here. They also have 20 ways to be in this together 2020 - the events are COVID restriction friendly, with welcome to country, talks, concerts, and ideas for engaging with culture, artists, and history! You could read the Uluru statement, watch a movie from the SBS Reconciliation Week film club, or find out the traditional owners of the land you are on, just to name a few. 

I'm getting started getting some books by an amazing Aboriginal author and poet Ellen van Neerven, and tuning into In Concert Together 9.05pm Friday 29th on ABC radio

It would be great to hear from you, how are you celebrating Reconciliation Week this week? Reconciliation week.png

SANE Australia acknowledges the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as traditional custodians of the land on which it operates. We pay respect to Elders past, present and emerging, and value the rich history, unbroken culture and ongoing connection of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to country. 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: In this together - Join us for National Reconciliation Week 2020! // Wed 27th May - Wed 3rd June

I have been watching cooking shows from Darwin on SBS Food and on NITV about First Nation kitchen and bush tucker cooking.  Wanting to learn more and incorporate knowledge into my own kitchen.

Re: In this together - Join us for National Reconciliation Week 2020! // Wed 27th May - Wed 3rd June

@Tortoiseshell @Faith-and-Hope 

I’ve read a bit of the information provided here.  Makarrata, coming together after a struggle. Oh for unity. 

Sounds like a great program @Faith-and-Hope. And @Maggie I hadn't come across that word before but the meaning sounds pretty amazing.  

I have been watching cooking shows from Darwin on SBS Food and on NITV about First Nation kitchen and bush tucker cooking.--- I have been watching them too @Faith-and-Hope@Tortoiseshell@Maggie and they are really interesting Heart

and also watched a series which was recorded in Kakadu  in the N.T which one of my customers was in 

Do you know How many is in a "Mob" ---- ( anymore than 3 is called a mob)

@Tortoiseshell @Faith-and-Hope @Shaz51 @Maggie 

I like to read about indigenous stories about the stars.

According to Aboriginal Legend, emus were creator spirits that used to fly and look over the land. To spot the emu, look south to the Southern Cross; the dark cloud between the stars is the head, while the neck, body and legs are formed from dust lanes stretching across the Milky Way. "The position in the sky tells us when to collect emu eggs; it's very well known all across Australia."

CSIRO Indigenous astronomer Ray Norris told the Yolngu Dreamtime story of the three brothers to ABC Radio Sydney:

“They say three young boys were out fishing and all they could catch were kingfish.

"One got so hungry he ate one of the kingfish.

"The Sun was so angry that she created a waterspout that blew them up into the sky as a warning to kids that you've got to obey the tribal laws.

"The three stars we see, they're the three brothers. On either side of that, which we would call the hand and feet of the Orion, that's the front and end of the canoe.

"The Orion nebula where new stars are being born; they're the fish."

We are in this together.

I read 'The Uluru Statement From the Heart'. It is truly a tragedy what has happened to the First Nations people in this country, and to their children. 😞 

"We seek a Makarrata Commission to supervise a process of agreement-making between governments and First Nations and truth-telling about our history."

I also read about the Reconciliation Bridge Walks, held across Australia in 2000, the biggest being 250,000 people walking across the Sydney Harbour Bridge in support of reconciliation. 

"Over the course of the year, close to a million people took part in reconciliation walks in all capital cities, towns and regions across the country. From the recommendations of CAR, and the proceeds raised during the 2000 walks for reconciliation, Reconciliation Australia was established to continue a formal process of making Australia a more just, equitable and reconciled nation."

I have also followed Reconciliation Australia on Facebook.

Hi all.  @Tortoiseshell  the Makarrata is the name for the actions and other things that the big meeting at Uluru called for a few years ago - The Statement From The Heart.  @Maggie @NatureLover @jem80 @Shaz51  and anyone else reading this.

There is so much I could write here.  I support reconciliation all the time but it is good to see a week dedicated to it where there's a lot more media and conversation about it and what is needed.  In particular I know from living in the NT for so many years, that children are still being removed from their families and often placed in white households rather than with relatives or people in the communities they come from.    I have friends who are still affected by the fall-out from their families being separated, some still trying to find their country and their kin and many missing out on learning the 'lore' (men's and women's business).

I believe in 'closing the gap' and teaching in local language as well as english (learning 'two-way').  And full consultation with communities about anything that will affect them (e.g. fracking) - as they say "nothing about me without me".  Sitting down in country and listening. 

Dadirri is a beautiful concept and really worth reading about - 'listening to the waters within' brought out to the world by Miriam-Rose Ungenmarr-Baumann (spelling?!).  https://www.miriamrosefoundation.org.au/about-dadirri

The Barunga Statement is also worth a read - now over 30 years ago but still as relevant as then.   https://aiatsis.gov.au/barunga-statement

I could rave on about this topic.  Places I've been, people I've known, things I've learned and seen.  But I only know about the tip of the iceberg.  I hope we have some people who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander who will share on this thread.

Hi @Tortoiseshell 

I have an interest in reconciliation week and the indigenous peoples as I studied contemporary indigenous studies as part of my Bachelor of Arts degree at uni and find the whole indigenous culture and backgrounds,etc, very interesting. I like how there are differences in health and how they believe they should treat their cultures in regards to their beliefs and so forth. I would personally like to do more learning in regards to the indigenous populations of Australia as I believe we can learn a lot from them in all aspects of life.

Hey @jem80 and @Shaz51 👋❤️

@NatureLover thanks for those quotes, it's unfortunate the health crisis prevents a walk for Reconciliation this year.

@eth great to read about Dadirri and the Burunga statement. It's devastating the trauma that is historical and ongoing. From the mental health side of things we know disempowerment only compounds trauma, so "Nothing about me without me" sounds so relevant. From the Uluru statement and the Burunga statement it sounds like this is what First Nations peoples have been fighting for a long time. It would be really great to hear from any First Nations members if you want to jump in, but no pressure. 

@Judi9877 I agree there is a lot to learn about First Nations culture, and a lot this provides for the wellbeing of our country. I know there was a lot of coverage about Aboriginal fire management during the bushfires. 

I'm also feeling there's a lot for me to learn about being an ally, there are a few articles if anyone is interested: 

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2018/05/28/how-be-good-indigenous-ally
https://www.blakdance.org.au/articles/allyship#

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846