Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: LIVE NOW // Topic Tuesday // Finding the joy in Christmas

Yes u might b right @coffeegirl

Wish I could skip Christmas though, but feeling like that about everything

Thanks @NikNik I find it so hard to manage celebrations on my own there's no back up for breaks

@Former-Member - that might be the perfect reason to head to the park Smiley Wink

You have created a great segue...  Self care... Christmas tends to become about everyone else but ourselves. We go on holidays, take time off work, have people over etc - so our routines are broken, so there is a huge risk of slipping into bad habits or letting our own mental health slide.

Does anyone have tips on how to continue their self care?

Keep up routines?

Hi everyone ,

My joyous christmas involves - Getting together with family ,  three of our children live too far away to come up although they did come up during the year , our Daughter lives near us so she is making christmas breakfast for us

we are going to have two weeks off work, but I can see my husband wanting to keep working

BE PREPARED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have learnt my lesson on this one....

The past few years I have made a few plans to ensure that my mental health and my recovery doesn't suffer. I have done this by:

1) Booking in an appointment in December for mid Jan with my psychologist: whether I'm feeling gread in December or not... or haven't needed to see my psychologist for a long time... REGARDLESS of the circumstances, I have found it VITAL to make that appointment. The worst case scenario is that I turn up to the appointment and I'm okay.

2) Make sure I have enough meds to get me through. One year my medication ran out and I just kept putting off and forgetting to go to the chemist (I would conveniently remember on public holidays)

hi ,

My husband feels like this everyday --- Wish I could skip Christmas though, but feeling like that about everything

For me it's been important to have a list of things that I enjoy or can turn to when things are tough.

When I'm in the middle of it all, I tend to find it all a bit too hard and I don't want to have to think of things that will help me.

Years ago a counsellor helped me construct a list of things to do and/or people to call that I enjoy. Most of them are distractions - like a list of great movies and TV shows I can tune out to, people I like talking to etc. And there's also some strategies to take care of myself - @Louis-Rigolly mentioned mindfulness - on my list I have the 'body scan' as one of my exercises I do when I'm stressed.

I actually have a physical list in my room, which I check out when I feel anxious / stressed etc.

It really helps me.

Hi @Shaz51 🙂 Thanks for sharing your 'joys' of christmas 🙂 . With the children who live too far away, do you catch up with them on Christmas day via the phone or skype or something along those lines?

@Former-Member , @Eagle  and @coffeegirl - thanks for sharing your self care tips

Being prepared, thinking ahead and routines - seem to be the key takeaway from your points.

Thanks to everyone for taking part tonight – whether it be asking a question, sharing an experience or offering insight and support.

I have really found tonight interesting. In particular, I think some of the important points/highlights include:

- Self care is important - and planning ahead and maintaining a routine is vital

- You don't have to be alone - there were some great suggestions on where you can go to be around people on christmas day, if you wish. A great suggestioned by Coffeegirl

- We all have some sort of stress or anxiety assosciated with Christmas: which makes it okay (as long as we take care of ourselves.

Finally, for those who want some company on or around Christmas, the Forums will still be here 24/7. We are having a special Friday Feast on Christmas night too!

For those who haven’t been to our Friday Feasts before, check it out here – we get together every Friday night, each bringing a plate of virtual food, we share a meal together and have a chat and this Christmas night won't be an exception.

Thanks everyone!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846