Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Rilke
New Contributor

Treatment resistance

My partner is currently in hospital and has been there for over 2 weeks since having a psychotic episode (after reducing then ceasing his medication for 2 days). Even though he's back on his previous medication along with a new one, he's still delusional and over emotional. I read that a relapse reflects a period of disease progression and patients may not return to their previous level of function. Is this correct? I also read that the medication he's been on long-term is used for treatment-resistant schizophrenia. He had told me he'd been given other treatments in the past and they didn't work. I feel that he has a poor clinical prognosis, though I hope I'm wrong. I've been with him for less than two years and until now had not known he had schizophrenia. He had told me he was bipolar.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Treatment resistance

@Rilke  Hi Rilke and welcome to the forums. My psychiatrist said to me that the more clients mess around and go off their meds the more it damages the mind .... those were close to her exact words. I have schizoaffective disorder and have a son2 with autism and schizophrenia plus epilepsy. It is imperative for clients to stay on their medications is what she said the thing is though the temptation is there to either go off them completely or to scale the amount down as the side affects are pretty darn awful to be honest. Stay strong and look after yourself. greenpea

Re: Treatment resistance

Hi Rilke,
My heart goes out to you.
I am going through a very much the same situation with my brother atm.
My brother was 2 weeks late for his scheduled depo shot (due on the 23rd March) had it roughly a week ago. After a week of psychotic episodes and relentless crying after finally get his shot, we made 3 trips to the hospital sent home twice and finally admitted the 3rd time. He spent two nights in and is now home still not well and never should have been let home yet.
My brother has been in and out of physc wards since 2010 with over 100+ admissions and seems to be getting worse.
My brother is 31 and I'm 30 and I feel a sense of responsibility for him.
Reach out if you feel you don't have anyone else that understands I'm happy to share my experiences.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846