Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Sis1
New Contributor

Sister has schizophrenia - starting to have signs of unwell - pls help

My sister has had 2 episodes of catatonic schizophrenia in the past. She's meant to be on medication but has a habit of not taking them. In the last year or two, she's started to reduce to either half dose or none. She doesn't let us know anything about it incl her husband.

Over the last yr, she's lost a lot of weight bc she's not eating much at every meal and reduction of meds. 

Over the last month, she's started to have random laughter, mostly at inappropriate times. Sometimes she is teary without any triggers. Her 5 year old thinks she's laughing at him and hurts his feelings. When I ask, she gets irritated and says she's fine.
Her husband and I are lost. She's not at a pt where we can force her to a mental health professional (she refuses to admit there's an issue and goes by herself to any GP who doesn't have her medical history) or get her scheduled. But she's clearly unwell. How can we help her?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Sister has schizophrenia - starting to have signs of unwell - pls help

@Sis1  Hi Sis1 and welcome to the forums. Unfortunately until she is a danger to herself or others there is nothing to be done .... maybe offer to have her son over as much as possible to give him a break from her.  If she is displaying these symptems it wont be long before she crashes just make sure you are there for her and her son when she does. Sorry I cannot be of more help it just is the way it is. Take care. greenpea

Thanks greenpea. The situation worsened today bc she was extra spaced out like her mind is elsewhere. Her husb found she couldn't dress herself and didn't know her postcode. He took her to emergency and she couldn't put up any resistance this time bc she was so spaced out.

Thanks for your advice too! When she's coherent, she doesn't really let other people look after her son without her there so that's something we're working on.
I am still new to being an active carer for her, I step in and help her husb when things get serious like now, but I also struggled with treatment resistance depression myself so it's been hard being a part time carer. I guess I'll have to work it out this time so there's someone else involved in her future ongoing treatment and help ensure she takes her meds etc. Appreciate your replying!

I would be calling CATT - she's not taking her meds, she has a five year old child.  I think from what you say she is at a point where she needs to be sectioned - please don't feel guilty 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846