Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Queenie
Community Elder

I fired my psychiatrist!

I phoned yesterday and left a message that I was tired of him putting me in vulnerable positions and left some choice four-lettered words and then said I won't be back to him.

This all occurred because I've been unwell lately battling my schizophrenia again and my GP and I have been desperate for two weeks to get a hold of him. Each day his receptionist says "he will reply by the end of today" but neither of us have received a response. Meanwhile I am becoming more and more unwell mentally (at least I have that insight). She (my GP) and I are very angry at the poor service he has given me. This isn't the first time this has happened but it will be the last.

I am now without a psychiatrist at all. It seems nobody is taking on patients at the moment. I know what I did was risky but I cannot have someone one my treatment team who won't treat me! Public mental health won't take me because I'm private and private services are full. 

Oh well. Hi everyone! I guess I'm back posting again.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: I fired my psychiatrist!

Hi @Queenie 

I'm sorry you had to resort to that and that your mental health is getting worse.

But I am glad you have the support of your gp, she seems to be on the sae page as you.

I hope you find another pdoc soon, I know how hard it can be to find a good one.

Hi @Queenie I can hear you are struggling at the moment.  Sending my best wishes that you can find a new psychiatrist soon.  Very glad to hear your GP is supporting you through this.  And also that you still have insight into what's happening for you.  Thinking of you and sending warm wishes xx

@Queenie  Hey Queenie good to have you back :D. My pdoc is great but will only keep me on if I take my meds ..... if not onto the public I go with depot injections. All of which scares e to death. So here I am being a good pea doing as i am told and living in fear of losing my pdoc.

That's so #%@&ing frustrating @Queenie I'm sorry to hear it.

Sounds like the GP is a keeper though,

hey @Queenie that sounds very tough but also sounds like a good decision. you deserve to have good supports not just get generic answers that aren't even upheld!
I hope that you might be able to find someone who will accept some new patients soon.

Just wanted to pop in and update everyone on my situation.

I've been sliding down that slippery dip a fair bit of late. The other night I hallucinated something truly terrifying, and although that hallucination has passed, it has me understandably rattled to say the least.

I did hear back from my old psychiatrist after my support worker's manager phoned and said he was neglecting his duty of care (and he was!). I've since had medication increased and am doing a little better now. I still have fired him however.

I found a new psychiatrist, who although he has closed his books, is willing to take me on. He doesn't charge the earth and has admitting rights to a different hospital than I've been in before. I'm nervous about meeting him, I really am and I am not sure why. Even typing this has my anxiety flaring up.

I hope he has ways to break the ice with me as I am always really frightened of authority figures (I think I've said that before). 

Good Luck with the new guy. @Queenie 

I used to see them as authority figures, not surprising considering their sense of power over my loved ones from a very early age, but not any more.  For me they are just people now. Public Servants in fact. You deserve good care and all people should do their jobs properly.  Especially when they are so well remunerated ....

Locus of control ... I outsource mine a lot when I am with a person, but gradually as I become older, I am not giving it all away.

Hugs Bella.  You have been through a lot.

Smiley Happy

Hope it all goes well with the new pdoc @Queenie 

I think feeling nervous to meet a new pdoc is a totally normal thing. I remember lots of different emotions swirling around when I meet my most recent pdoc.

Glad you are doing a little better, thanks for keeping us up to date.

Love and hugs

Snowie

All my warmest wishes to you @Queenie   The new psychiatrist sounds promising.  When I'm going to start with someone new I start making notes at least a few days beforehand about things I might talk about with them - maybe that would help.  You can take a list in with you, and sometimes I've just walked in and handed over the list so they can get a picture of what I'm dealing with without me having to talk it all and use up all the time.   I very much hope it goes well for you and you can have a good rapport with them.  Really glad for you that things have settled a little since earlier in the month.  I've been thinking of you.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846