Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Serenity1
Senior Contributor

Asthma medication hoarding covid-19😭

Iv kept my daughter home from schoo for a week because of Caron's virus. 

There is no ventolin in any of the pharmacies & I am just so extremely worried - how can this happen. She has Viral Asthma & has been hospitalised four times in her life due to catching a normal cold virus & which triggers her asthma @& being unresponsive to her ventolin. 

There is no preventor medication which prevents an asthma attach either. The chemist I spoke to said he is in the same position with his own grandkids not having ventolin. Her puffers run out in two months & her preventor was out of date -( because she only requires them during winter- so hasn't needed since last winter)

This is flaring my agorophbia so badly- I wake up in a panic & cry- I have to take her to the doctors to get a script for the asthma medication they don't have in stock- how could this happen-buying out toilet paper is one thing but hoarding asthma medication so there is not enough to go around for small children who have smaller airways which compromises their breathing. It's so selfish & unfair. 

I am having anxiety about taking her to the doctors office because what if there is sick ppl the with virus who don't realise it yet & aren't showing symptoms & she gets ill. 

I am having anxiety about taking her out of school because she will fall behind in her school work for sure but I cannot send her now -her health is more important.  we have another child in her class whose mother is a nurse & works at the hospital & is exposed to everything & she said " it's just a matter of time until she gets it" so I can't risk exposing her to that.

feeling very scared & unsafe with everything going on 😭 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Asthma medication hoarding covid-19😭

@Serenity1  Hi Serenity I am terrified I wont be able to get my son's epilepy medication ..... I am trying to keep calm and realise it is all out of my hands (in the lap of the gods so to speak) but still the thought of my son having uncontrolled seizures throughout the day is terrble. He also has schizophrenia ...... this is heading to be a nightmare. 

@Serenity1  also if I cannot get my medications how on earth am I meant to look after my son2 ..... I will end up in hospital again or worse. All due to selfish greedy people hoarding. Makes me so angry.

Sending you my thoughts @Serenity1. I'm feeling it too, like so many 🙁

Thankyou so much @CheerBear hope you are going ok 😘

Hey @greenpea how did you get on with your sons medications & your own??
I spoke to my doctor bcos I was worried about my medication being unavailable- for same reason as you & GP said there shouldn't be a shortage of other medications because they need a script & you can't bulk buy those types of meds. The reason they ran out of asthma medication is because you didn't have to have a script for them ( was cheaper with a script)- so a lot of ppl who don't even have asthma bought all the ventolin & it ran out & was not going to be delivered for a long time- finally got my hands on one for my daughter! Yay. Hope you're going well 😘

@Serenity1  Hey Serenity1  really happy that you got one for your daughter but it is shameful  that people were hoarding like that in the first place.,  No problems yet with script medications although I think the chemists are taking a firm rain on what is dispensed and when. Wishing you and your daughter well and hoping that you are coping with the crazy times we are living in. Love peax

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846