Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Denv12
Senior Contributor

What Gets You Through A Day?

As we are affected by various health issues  I hope you will share your ideas on how to get through a day. I'll start:

I like to keep busy at the best of times.It helps.While my computer used to work I used to type up ideas for various things even ideas for book topics.I like helping others.It helps me too.I like reading books.I like buying them too.I do have too many.I just dont get good offers for them thats why I still have all of them.I collect books on various topics.I love learning things so self help books are good.As there are millions of used books out there there are some great books worth buying. I also collect things.I try not to go overboard with collecting.I dont document my collections.

I play piano,listen to music,go online......even with mobile phone.Sometimes I like to draw/design houseplans.I shop online for everything.I dont travel so its all online for me.As I dont have friends who can go to the local shops I get what I need online. Thats about it for me.I use acupressure each day.It helps.And its free.Plenty of diagrams for various ailments.Its made my life easier.Look up Acupressure for any ailment and you will find videos,diagrams,etc.

Please share your daily routine.You never when it will help someone else.

My blessings to each of you for your strength and bravery.Regards Denv12.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: What Gets You Through A Day?

Hi @Denv12 ,

Nice idea for a thread.  We should start one up with an index of all the interesting things you have come up with 😉

Staying busy is a good one and I try to do that as best as I am able to.  I used to do gardening and also invested a lot of time in learning about different edible foods that I could try growing.  I always enjoy growing things from seeds myself.

For me, I find exercise and doing hobbies have really help.  I'd also add that getting a good nights sleep is becoming more important to Me.  I listen to a lot of music, mostly things from the 90s, but, I'm not advserse to some more recent sounds as well.  

I used to look at a lot of plans, I really wanted to try making some gardens or a shed to try different building techniques.  Since my bipolar diagnosis, nearly 2 years ago I've really dropped the bundle and struggle to stay motivated and find the time to do things like I once did.  

I shop online for a few things, mostly items where I can save some money by doing it that way.  I like to go to the shops for the basics and support local business when and where I can.

Hope you are well Denv, its always nice to see your thoughts and contributions around the place.

Things that get me through the day, or sometimes just a moment 🙂

a hug and big smile form one of my brothers - we often disagree so a happy smile and hug is always nice

reading or watching Netflix (Brooklyn nine nine! Atypical! The good place! Agents of shield! ) - when I need a distraction these things help me to give me something to do ( Katniss everdeen fic helps as they often have mental health particularly depression themes in there, if I'm feeling a bit alone, or some marauders (Harry Potter) are the best and always super cute though often kinda sad) 

martial arts !!!!!!! It's awesome to channel anger and emotion, a great distraction and uses energy !

cuddles!!!!!!!! Lying down, relaxing with my bf makes me super happy and relaxed while still not isolating myself 

going to bed early- I find this hard but it helps the next day so much!!!!! 

maybe some of these will help other people too, I hope so 🙂

Things that get me through the day, or sometimes just a moment 🙂

a hug and big smile form one of my brothers - we often disagree so a happy smile and hug is always nice

reading or watching Netflix (Brooklyn nine nine! Atypical! The good place! Agents of shield! ) - when I need a distraction these things help me to give me something to do ( Katniss everdeen fic helps as they often have mental health particularly depression themes in there, if I'm feeling a bit alone, or some marauders (Harry Potter) are the best and always super cute though often kinda sad) 

martial arts !!!!!!! It's awesome to channel anger and emotion, a great distraction and uses energy !

cuddles!!!!!!!! Lying down, relaxing with my bf makes me super happy and relaxed while still not isolating myself 

going to bed early- I find this hard but it helps the next day so much!!!!! 

maybe some of these will help other people too, I hope so 🙂

@Avi

Great choice in shows. Brooklyn nine nine always puts a smile on our faces. Atypical is great too.

Your fic idea is good I never would have thought of that as a coping strategy.

Martial arts is the best. What type do you do. I was kickboxing and doing kung fu but stopped due to some medical issues. Can't wait to get back after this quarantine. Considering some home training in the meantime.

Will definately look into fic, as a total geek characters and their stories have always helped me to get through my days.

Thanks 😊

I work in 'essential services' so I have something to do most of the week..

except over Easter 2 days at home

If everyone in Australia followed me the government would be very pleased...

'stay at home' 'go shopping'  'work'....

I am also essential service worker haha. Work is getting me through it keeps me busy and is very problem solving orientated which quitens the noise in my head. 

Mostly the usual basics for me help me get through. Nothing fancy or innovative here as I've acknowledged that the basics are good enough for me most of the time.

Keeping on top of ADLS, tidying up after myself and my brother, cooking, food shopping, chats with friends, computer gaming, dog walking, doing some old LEGO sets that were in the shed. I'm out of work at the moment and some of my old job was repetitive technical work and I find the LEGO helps fill the void, help me concentrate but relax at the same time if that's possible.

I've groomed a lustrous handlebar Mustache for fun after watching Tiger King (and because I can due to physical distancing at the moment) - what a riot that show is!

I usually have a workout in the gym or a swim. I also have my partner around for solace. This Covid is a double whammy for me. The gyms and pools are shut so my avenue to destress is gone. The global lockdown has also trapped my partner overseas with the in-laws. So now I'm in lockdown alone with no avenue for my usual coping mechanisms. How I get through? One day at a time, one foot in front of the other.

hello and hugs @jamesle2015@Itoqih@Bezak482@Denv12@FellowTraveller@Gazza75 

can you do walking at home 

have you got a yard to walk in or around ?? it is different in the city than the rural areas xx

thinking of you all 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846