Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Chills
New Contributor

Parent experiencing psychosis

I’m struggling with an aged parent who is experiencing what appears to be psychosis. He has been having regular bouts of hearing voices and thinking his phone is being tapped or that he can hear voices (external) while on calls. He has reported these issues to Telstra and local police which led to the police calling me and referring me to an aged outpatient psychiatric support facility. He attended this with my support and was referred to treatment for psychosis. He refused the treatment and continues to experience problems. I have received counselling for this issue as a carer. I have also been in contact with his GP. He is well enough not to be of danger to himself or others but it is distressing to see his decline. It seems that stigma is holding him back from receiving treatment. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Parent experiencing psychosis

Hi @Chills 

Thank you for posting and sharing your story about your parent with the community!

It sounds like you have been doing your best to get your parent some support and taking care of yourself by getting some counseling too. It must be really challenging to see them not accepting the treatment and being held back by stigma.

When people experience symptoms such as psychosis it is up to them if they accept a diagnosis or treatment. It sounds like it is really hard for you to watch as they continue to experience problems. As a person who was supported by their family, I know that it does make a difference when your loved ones are there for you such as you are for your parent. That caring and love is a great support even if it feels hard for you and sometimes that is all you can do for people.

Here are some resources that might help you with your parent and I encourage you to explore other options for them even though they have refused treatment at the moment. Please see the links below:

There are also some support line numbers that might be beneficial for you too:

• Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat
  • Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling
  • Beyond Blue: 1300 22 4636
  • 1800RESPECT: 1800 737 732
  • If in immediate danger: 000
  • SANE Support Centre: 1800 187 263 Counselling

Sounds like you are doing all you can right now and you are coming from a loving and caring place. I hope some of this helps and please continue to connect here in the community of peers.

Take care

RiverSeal

Thank you! This is very supportive feedback and I appreciate the links to the support services you have sent. Like you said, it’s tough watching and we’re doing the best we can to support this person in our family. 

Maybe it is the stigma but maybe it is lack of insight.There may be a way to encourage him to have medication but medication will may well have side effects that won't be easy for either of you.You will need support from health professionals I think.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846