Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Atexan
New Contributor

New to forums. Struggling to work and take care of my daughter

Hi. I'm a single mom. Have been for a while. My daughter is 17 in March. Since 13 has struggled with suicidal thoughts and social anxiety. Been diagnosed, mental health units, ERs, two suicide attempts. Last one 2 days before Xmas. 5 psychologists. I'm just about to start my 6th job since this all started. Varying degrees of compassion. One boss actually started to bully me. HR said she could not handle my complex family issues. So how do people manage to work and be the parent / carer ? Tried part time. But her bad days don't happen on schedule. I'd like to join a support group in person as well. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: New to forums. Struggling to work and take care of my daughter

Hey there @Atexan thanks so much for posting, I liked the spelling "mom" were you originally from the USA before coming to Australia? We're keen to get to know you 😄

Welcome to the community. I am sure a few of our members will jump in soon with some insight and support, you're not alone and we all hear you Heart I am really sorry to hear about this experience with your boss, that's incredibly un-empathetic and very disrespectful. No-one should feel they have to tolerate that behaviour, well done on identifying it was bullying. Your Daughter's mental health comes first, and your own emotional wellbeing as well. Workplaces have ethics they are supposed to abide by in law to support differing family dynamics, have you checked out this article on Carers Gateway? How are you travelling with the new job and your Daughter at the moment? Our Help Centre opens from 10am-10pm weekdays, which can be a great additional support to our little forum community 🙂 Speak soon @Atexan 

hi @Atexan and welcome
it sounds incredibly tough for you and your daughter. has your daughter got a support worker at all? it might be worth having a look into.. you might possibly be able to arrange a support worker or another carer during the times your at work to keep an eye on her?

im not a parent so im not sure on many suggestions however carer gateway and carers Australia are both good resources to contact as well.

@eth @frog @CheerBear @Smc @Faith-and-Hope @greenpea may you could offer some suggestions?

Hi @Atexan  and welcome to the forums.  It does sound incredibly hard.

My story is different, but complicated also, and J am a mum (thanks for tagging me in @outlander 💕)

I am not working, but studying.  While my kids are all grown up, I have one with disabilities, and two suffering from anxiety and depression, both under professional care, still living at home.  Add to that a very unwell husband who doesn’t know he is unwell, and who has just walked out on me with another woman.  

I have been “single-parenting” for a while though, because my husband was work addicted, and siince selling our business has become exercise and eating disordered, so absent in a new way ..... and now completely absent from the house, but uber-controlling anyway.

I know @Smc is familiar with some of the issues you are struggling with in your daughter, and just meeting other community members who live a similar set of experiences can be so supportive and validating ..... just to know you’re not alone.  Others hear and see you.

I am so glad you reached out here, and I too am looking forward to getting to know you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846