Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Blipping
New Contributor

Memory Loss - Carer for Elderly Grandma

Gday all, 

My nana has been unsettled lately with food being her trigger. 

She has expressed extreme hunger yet the food she enjoys is in the fridge/cupboard. 

She has ongoing issues with being constipated. 

She has type 2 diabeties. Usually well controlled with meds. But also recently had a hypo 8-10 weeks ago. First one. 

She appears well most times, but it looks like a bad day is hunger pangs, associated with stomach pain. Where she lashes out. 

Pending appointment with Geriatric Dr to assess memory loss properly. 

I guess I'm seeking strategies to manage nana melt downs and my frustrations when this happens. 

welcome your advice thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Memory Loss - Carer for Elderly Grandma

Hey there @Blipping 

Thank you for sharing what you're going through and also what your grandma is experiencing too. It sounds really tough and I just wanted to commend you for all your care that you seem to take when looking after your nana. It isn't easy looking after someone that is also suffering mentally and I think it is a really beautiful thing that you have reached out for her. 

I see that you said she has an appointment with a professional. Would they be able to maybe give you some advice with her eating? Is there anything she does allow herself to have at all? I see that the appointment is mainly for memory loss, but it might be helpful if you're able to speak with this professional about what might be best for you to help your nana with when it comes to the eating pains?

I also think it is really important for you to make sure that you're checking in with yourself and that you are also taking some time for some self-care, whatever that may look like to you, because caring for someone else really does take a toll on us too ❤️

Sending you hugs,

Amber22

Re: Memory Loss - Carer for Elderly Grandma

Hey @Blipping ,

Just wanted to check how you are today?

I hear how hard it is to care for your nana when you don't really know how and what to do.

I'm glad you have reached out. I hope you find ways to support yourself through this.

I also wonder in the meantime, is it easier to get into see a dietician?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846