Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Faith-and-Hope
Community Guide

What's For Dinner ?

Hi all ... me again .... 😊

I know there are many days when trying to work our what to provide my tribe for dinner is in the too-hard basket, but it's my problem anyway ....

My friend @Former-Member is great at quick and easy meals .... hoping she'll post her Tawney Soup recipe here .... but the one I liked this week was baked beans on toast with melted cheese on top ... even found an image for it ....

image.jpeg

Howzat ??

What's your favourite go-to recipe on a burn-out night when there are mouths to feed and not much energy left to get it together ?

My mum used to just boil some eggs .... buttered toast and some lettuce .... that was enough.  

115 REPLIES 115

Re: What's For Dinner ?

OHHH that picture made me so hungry!

My go to meal to make me happy and full is some sort of pasta that is simple and cheap like this, if you want to add some protein a can of tuna also goes really well!

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 12.30.32 pm.png

Yum, I am hungary now

Ravioli

ravioli.jpg

Yum and yum ...❣

My MIL's go-to is a Spaghetti Bolognaise .... I have learned to throw one together quick and easy ... and my kids love it ....

image.jpeg

@Lunar @Shaz51

My first go-to meal was authentic spag bol .. a la American Italian gay bi polar uncle .. whom I have posted about here & there.

Then it was Pumpkin soup ...

Then it was Homemade Hamburgers ..

Then it was Mexican .. in all its wonderful forms 

I never used to be a gardener ....

I never used to be a cook ...

but love both now that I am a

not so little old lady.  lol

Ha !  @Appleblossom .... you've just reminded me of the Mexican zone I was in before we set out on these travels...

Was loving throwing together rice, salsa, salad, beans, guocomale, and whatever else into a bowl ... yum.

image.jpeg

Figured that needed a pic ....

Here it's as cheap to eat good food out as it is to buy the ingredients and cook at home, so I am in foodie-heaven at the moment, although still fasting for Christmas .... still lots of amay-zing vego dishes on offer .... and the bread (!!) .... ancient recipe barley bread known as "village bread" .... 

Doing lots of walking too, so I can eat the village bread .... lol ....

image.jpeg

😊💕

Made Pumpkin Soup tonight and had new thought ... blend up the skin for added nutrients ..

Son's gf liked the idea .. as I thought she might ..

and it worked a treat .. made it a heavier texture but quite nice ...

this one was with Cocnut milk basil and parsely

Hadn't thought of putting basil in pumpkin soup @Appleblossom .... must try it ....

Posted a Christmas ham recipe on another thread yesterday, if anyone else is interested ....

It's something I could eat all year !

Mix marmalade with French mustard and plaster a piece of ham with it.  Scoring it with a criss-cross pattern and studding it with cloves first is optional, but will add more flavour.  Pineapple jam or marmalade used to be available although I havent gone looking for it for a while .... that was magic ....

Bake in a 160deg oven till golden brown, basting with pan juices.

Looks like this ....

image.jpeg

Yummo!!

That sounds so delicious @Appleblossom I will have to try that next time, we have been adding some cauliflower to our pumpkin soup too and it's pretty yumm.

That ham looks so tasty @Faith-and-Hope, might go well with some Cauliflower Bake mmmmm (you can probably tell I quite like cauliflower ha) look at this fancy one with tomatoes through it, it's called Caprese Cauliflower Bake...

Screenshot 2016-12-22 09.49.34.png

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846