Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Arizona
Senior Contributor

Looking after myself

Background: I recently decided to reconnect with my Catholic faith.

The priest from my Catholic church recommended that I read an excerpt from a book by a saint called Francis de Sales. He was a bishop in the 16th century. I understand that the priest was trying to help me but I didn't find the article helpful at all. It was the opposite of helpful. It was very difficult and upsetting to read. Even the first sentence was difficult and upsetting to read. I tried to read it from a historical perspective but this didn't help. It mentioned temptation, sin and the devil and it made me feel not good about myself. I don't even believe in the devil. I think it's a load of rubbish.

So I stopped reading it and I Googled the Catholic Church's understanding of mental illness and I found this much more helpful. It was very kind, as I expected, and I found it very comforting. 

I'm proud of myself for empowering myself and looking after myself, though I'm not sure what I'm going to say to the priest about the article.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Looking after myself

@Arizonawell done for navigating a very tricky situation. Knowing the book wasnt right for You and closing it then searching for info to meet where youre at. Thats so empowering ! Ive found faith to be a constant discovery. My Eyes always seeking something good in my life

@Arizona 

yes well done you.

the older I get the harder faith is to maintain, but that's because of all the things mankind does to pervert the main messages... in all religions.

I have grown to detest the label "Christian" because it has been abused for centuries. I pretty much detest labels of any sort now, but I try to temper my walk with the teachings of a carpenter from Nazareth, who's genuine love of mankind and non-judgemental nature is a standard I can stive for.

xoxo

Hi @Arizona 

Good on you for continuing in researching the information about your faith and its dealing with metal health issues.  

I have been taught long time ago that religion is all about faith and your interpretation of the teachings.  My parents made sure we studied different religions in order for us to understand ours.  By learning and understanding other religious beliefs and values it has made myself and my sisters open for interpretations of teachings.  

I believe that faith is within you and if you believe in the teachings or understand the teachings you know you are never alone.  Faith helps those in needs because it reassures us that we can make mistakes and we are here to learn.  

I hope you continue in learning about your faith and I hope it gives you insight on things that you need.

Be kind to yourself 

Hello @Arizona  lovely to meet you. 

Many years ago I did something similar in trying to reconnect with what was then my Roman Catholic faith.

I was in hospital, trying to recover from a most unfortunate situation that had been inflicted upon me. The priest compared me negatively to Saint Maria Goretti. He was in the process of excommunicating me due to the percieved mortal sin, when I rang the buzzer and requested he be removed from my room. 

You are very brave to have stopped reading what he suggested to you. Braver still to have come here to talk to others about what you might be able to do to manage the situation surrounding it. 

I respectfully suggest you tell your priest how you felt/ feel about the information he suggested you read? If you can't speak, copy your post here and give him that, or something similar to it. 

I contacted Rome with my complaint - for what it was worth ... 

If we do not let them know they've got it wrong, they can't even try to change.

I think I still have the teensiest bit of hope that things will change, while knowing deep inside they won't. 

May you continue to be brave in whatever steps you decide to take upon your journey!

Just looked up the saint. That 1586 crisis sounds rough. I'm not your priest but I'm feeling at least two things that may of informed the choice. The first is the power of "God is love" when it comes to internal struggles of self. I also get a feeling that the priest was recognising you're intellect and wanted to hook you up to a saint with an academic backround. Could be other reasons but I think that's two of them.

I'm a big fan of Saint Augustine myself. "Confessions of a Sinner" was uplifting and confronting. I love the part where he wants God in his house, but at the same time concerned about the "house" being tidy enough for celestial guests.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846