Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

AshEasy
Contributor

How to calm your anxiety?

Hi,

I have a friend of mine who has anxiety issues and she doesn't know how to calm herself when anxiety attacks. Any comments will be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to calm your anxiety?

Hi @AshEasy

Sorry it's taken a while for you to get responses. Your discussion was hiding, so I moved it to a place where more people would see it 🙂

Hopefully you will get more responses now.

In the meantime, perhaps you would find this guide on anxiety helpful.

May I ask what age bracket your friend is in? It might help members provide more specific feedback and advice.

Nik

Hi @AshEasy, how are things going for your friend?

hello @AshEasy , how is everything with your friend Smiley Happy

I feel my anxiety comes in many ways both physical and psychological. Sometimes I will be thinking of hypothetical senarios, just laying in bed and sometimes when im in situations that are new, crowded, or potentially dangerous, sometimes my body shuts down and sometimes my body doesn't stop moving or pacing, sometimes it's just a thought or just excessive sweating or a tightened jaw, sometimes it uncontrolled crying or hypoventilating. I use a lot of didn't strategies for each didn't scenario. Grounding myself with reminding myself what is real and what is not helps. Going for a walk or a jog helps. Having a shower helps. Taking a medication helps or breathing into a paper bag helps asking for a hug feom some one who understands  helps, talking about it helps, mediation helps. 

Anxiety is different for everyone and is a personal journey for everyone to feeling better. I hope this helps but I am still working out myself how to choose to deal with each kind of anxiety, how to stay away from drinking when I'm pacing. Do not beg for a hug from someone irritated by your anxiety, do not take mediacation / sedative of u absolutely don't need to. do not feel bad if you can't get out of bed for a jog, do not feel bad for not meditating if u can't stop crying. If anxiety doesn't go away just remember it will soon! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846