Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: 8 dimensions of wellness

No I didn't make it swimming unfortunately. Hubby had a meltdown and can't be left alone. I don't have time allowed for me. I will keep trying.

Not for me this topic although I have my own belief system anything of a formal nature is frought with difficulties. My wish is for people to have a core belief but personally confusion reins supreme for me on this one. Hope everyone finds their own way. What ever floats your boat.

Waterfalls and fishponds. Work in progress.
62AE3F69-8A77-439A-A7FC-613BAF0FDD91.jpeg

Hi @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Carlachris 

For me religion and spirituality go hand in hand. I inherited a Christian belief system from my parents but eventually developed my own faith in God and Jesus. It is a huge part of my life. A daily lived experience in which Christian values intertwine all that I do. I have made some of my friends from attending various churches but my 3 closest friends are not Christians. They are spiritual though (one is Hindu). 
I am a progressive Christian and it can be difficult finding an inclusive church so I like to listen to podcasts for like minded Christians. I recently started going to a new church that I chose because the minister participated in the last climate strike. Looking after the environment is really important to me. As is caring for those who are less fortunate or oppressed, hence the voluntary work I do with refugees and asylum seekers. 
During the darkest times in my life it was my Christian faith that helped me pull through. Now I believe that spirituality and counselling are a good combo. 

I acknowledge the damage that has been done to many people by church leaders and judgemental Christians. I have been fortunate to have been spared from such horrors and I am sincerely sorry if anyone reading this was a victim of any type of abuse. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

summary 5.jpg

Today I will summarise and conclude the formal discussion in relation to this topic, but do feel free to continue to post your thoughts.

Thank you all for your contributions     @Shaz51   @Jay-e    @Scoo   @Appleblossom    @FindingStrength    @Boo13     @Sophie1   @Carer101  @Kasey13  @Carlachris 

Wellness is a broad concept and this model talks about being healthy in eight dimensions of our lives all of which are interconnected and build on each other and all of which have been shown to benefit mind, body and soul. I really like the SAMHSA step by step guide in relation to this and have used a couple of quotes from this document https://store.samhsa.gov/system/files/sma16-4958.pdf

Creating balance in our lives is an important part of wellness. Because we each have individual needs, preferences, and capabilities, what we consider “balance” will also look different. And it’s important for us to re-balance from time to time, to adjust to what is going on in our lives.

summary 7.pngWhen we’re trying to get through a tough time—whether it is stress, an illness, trauma, or an emotional challenge—balance is especially important. In these times, our habits and routines can help us get that feeling of control back. This means focusing on ourselves as well as the roles we play in the lives of others—like being students, friends, parents, spouses, co-workers, congregants, hobbyists, community members, and citizens. Our roles and relationships help define who we are, what gives us a sense of purpose, and how our lives are interdependent on other people, animals, and the environment.

I have found this discussion to be useful in relation to each of the dimensions of my own wellness as well as some things I have suggested to Mr Darcy might feel would improve his and our overall well-being.

summary 8.jpgWhen we looked at environmental wellness, we considered the home environment as well as the world we live in.  Activities that we collectively participate in include:  having a vase of fresh flowers, picking up rubbish when out walking, decluttering, connecting with animals through volunteer work, being out in nature, donating unwanted clothing/items to charity and more.   

summary 9.jpgWhen we looked at our physical wellness, we acknowledged that at times there has been (and still is) inadequate support as well as where personal improvements could be made. We were able to celebrate some successes of getting back into healthy habits and doing the things that are necessary to manage /improve our own health outcomes.

summary 13.pngWhen we looked at occupational wellness and how it can be challenging with co-workers, govt regulations and our caring roles.  Some emotions came through in relation to those of us who have either put aside careers or who feel the weight of being the provider even though done willingly.

summary 14.jpgMoving on to financial wellness and we found that making wise financial decisions often came about as a matter of necessity and that for some “plastic surgery” (chopping up and eliminating credit cards) was liberating, having a financial buffer is desirable and being debt free made things a lot more manageable.

summary 12.pngWhen it came to intellectual wellness, we saw that physical illness does not preclude participation, how keeping an active mind can be beneficial in relation to physical health.  The role of both formal study and trying new things was acknowledged as well as the seasonal nature of some activities.

summary 10.pngAn interesting aspect of emotional wellness was emotional safety and post crisis care, different feelings and viewpoints were raised in relation to emotional preparation.

summary 15.jpgFor those who posted, the mental health of our loved ones had a direct impact on their social wellness and some intentional ways of addressing this were raised.

summary 11.jpgLastly, we came to spiritual wellness where the importance of faith to some was highlighted and that connecting with nature was peace giving for others.

summary 16.png

Along the way we also recognised that these dimensions of wellness are interwined and each not a separate entity, each impacting on the other in various ways.

summary 6.jpg

@Former-Member  Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!!!!! 👏👏👏👏

your content and personal reflections and contributions here have been truly sensational 

this thread has really gotten under my skin and into my subconscious in the best way possible ! 

even though I didn't respond to every topic - I really enjoyed and personally reflected on them all ... I can even say they have contributed to my well being in a positive way and also helped me make decisions in a more balanced way 

for example I have wondered why I have become to unhappy lately going to work - and realised I truly think that my workplace and current tasks within it are out of alignment with my sense of spirituality ... by that I mean I am not finding enough meaningful purpose in the tasks and there is a misalignment with my personal and professional values ... this realisation has really illuminated my situation hugely. 

another example is realising the importance of social , physical well-being and emotional well being for myself - I often neglect these and now am consciously trying to honour them 

many thanks Darcy - a thoughtfully curated, well informed and  wonderfully presented in such a simple accessible way !

thankyou from the bottom of my heart 💓 

Hello @Former-Member @Sophie1 @Scoo @Carlachris @Shaz51 & whoever I've missed.

Apologies for dropping off the forum for a bit, I just needed to bring lots of focus to what has been happening. My daughter had a huge setback around Christmas & it has been tough going since then. Hopefully coming into calmer waters now... I've also just started the Family Connections course & hoping to gain some more skills & useful understanding from it.

Social Wellness..... I've always been a little shy & not so comfortable in big crowds. I used to get by with the "social lubricant" of alcohol for a long time, but now I don't go out much anyway & quit drinking many years ago (thankfully). There have been many factors added to the shyness & social anxiety that have kept me rather isolated for a long time. I'm also from another country, so don't have any family (other than my children) or school friends here. I have met lots of people but only two or maybe three that I consider close & that I share with. 

So, like others have said, MI has a significant impact on the wellbeing of those close to the person who has it & that just seems to be the way it is. I don't think the current structure of our culture/society makes that any easier either. Way too much suspicion, isolation & competition..... I'd love to see more small community based projects fostered by local councils & shires to help break down the social barriers. But that might be getting a little side-tracked.

Maybe a balance for those of us caring for our loved ones doesn't have to be a huge or busy social life - perhaps quality is more important than quantity here!

Friendly thoughts & warm smiles to y'all & hope you're all finding some moments of peace & appreciation. Smiley Happy

Thanks @Former-Member 

I've enjoyed this very much and appreciate all the work you put into it. 
@FindingStrength @Sophie1 @Carlachris @Shaz51 It was nice to get to know you all and read your contributions. 
Take care and be kind to yourselves 🥰

I'm glad your daughter might be sailing calmer seas. My hubby is still in a bit of a rocky boat but hopefully not far behind your daughter and heading to shore.
I am also quite shy and we are very private people. I think things in some ways have moved in the right direction re society understanding MI but I find the reality is very different when my husband is in crisis in public. I have yet to find a helping hand or kindness from the public when my husband is manic as he is very intense verbally. Lots of people understanding on FB and TV and Radio etc but not really when in a real life interaction. it's ok to talk about MI but a shift needs to happen in society that I have yet to see.
Awareness is good but we often need action as well. Sometimes I just wish someone would ask if I am okay in real life not just online. A real hand on my shoulder of reassurance a token of friendliness from a stranger would mean the world but people are still too frightened and don't know what to do. Either do I. I'm not a trained professional.  I am just like everyone living with a mentally ill person doing my best and making it up as we go along. Staying out of public is our only real option these days. Sure gets lonely though.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Good morning

@Shaz51   @Jay-e    @Scoo   @Appleblossom    @FindingStrength    @Boo13     @Sophie1   @Carer101  @Kasey13  @Carlachris 

As we are entering into the covid19  pandemic/ restrictions I am wondering if there are some things that we learned, perhaps something from  each dimension we can put into practice that will help us get through?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Baptist Care SA ABN: 81 257 754 846